Saturday, January 11, 2014

bacon, egg, and cheese modernist style


Today I tried out this concept to create a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich using modernist techniques. Based on the above photo you can tell I'm still struggling with a good visual. However, the result tasted pretty good. I started with the French Scrambled Eggs recipe from Modernist Cuisine. From there I decided to make a parfait out of the other parts of a BEC sandwich: bacon and croutons (toast).
torn crispy bacon
salty croutons
All I did here was cook bacon until it was crisped enough to crumble with little effort. The croutons are covered in olive oil and truffle salt. Next step was to make the eggs. To emulsify the eggs you'll need a whipping siphon. 

French Scrambled Eggs
4 eggs
4 egg yolks
60g butter
60g milk
salt

Blend. Cook sous vide @ ~160f or to the temp that matches the consistency you desire. Once cooked blend/whip again, transfer to a whipping siphon and charge. 

First I tried to layer croutons - egg - bacon (repeat). The bacon didn't stand up too well so I blended the bacon and croutons together and increased the crouton to egg ratio until I had something like this:



It's not the most decadent looking presentation but the concept tastes pretty great. I suppose a BEC sandwich isn't too glamorous to begin with so this execution does the original justice! Finally I grated some cheese on top and hit it with a torch.

another try this one didn't have enough crouton
torching bacon should work right? Nope, miserable failure.
Just fry it.







No comments:

Post a Comment